Consular Processing

If you are currently outside of the United States or within the United States but are ineligible for adjustment of status, consular processing may be the way for you to obtain permanent residence. If you have an approved visa petition indicating that you are either abroad or ineligible for adjustment of status, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will forward your approved petition to the National Visa Center in order to continue service on your case. Once you have submitted all of the necessary documentation and paid all of the related filing fees, the National Visa Center will then schedule your appointment at the appropriate consular post.

At the conclusion of the interview, the officer will explain to you what must occur in order for you to receive a decision. If the officer detected any issue of inadmissibility, he or she will inform you of this in writing and identify whether a waiver is authorized.