Have you ever been in an abusive relationship? Has your husband, wife, mother, father, son, or daughter ever been extremely cruel or violent towards you? Is your abusive relative a United States Citizen or permanent resident? If you answered yes, then you may be eligible for a permanent resident card, even if you overstayed your visa or entered the United States illegally.

In 1994, congress enacted the Violence Against Women Act INA Section 204(a), 8 U.S.C. 1154. In essence, you can file to become a permanent resident without the assistance or cooperation of your abusive relative.